Tuesday, November 13, 2007



It's been a while since I have done some figure sketching. I decided to work with gouache and watercolor for these quick 20 min poses. I selected bristol 3 ply plate finish sheets as my 'ground'. This was enjoyable as some of the pigement washes can really retain an expressive quality that can otherwise be muted with cold press papers. Transparent washes of watcolor (Holbeini + M.Graham brands) were added to slightly model the forms. A structural mixture of gouache brown and regular watercolor brown was the frame work in laying out the painting, from thin to thick then back to thin washes.

12 comments:

Jackson Sze said...

Wow that was a fast update!

Looking forward to future workshop pieces too!

Shane Pierce said...

awesome! love the brush work

Kinman said...

I really like these figures! each one stands on its own :) hope to see more in the future!

Ramsés Meléndez said...

Fantastic anatomy!

Anonymous said...

glad to see your figure sketches-
it's been a long time :)
they look great!

Erik D. Martin said...

Oh man such a nice quick workshop painting! So nice!

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing these work.
there are inspiring, and extremely instructives.
an astonishing visions and reflections about lights and shadows, about colours...
as a young illustrator i'm always happy to see new pieces of your work.

thanks, again...


sorry for my poor english :)

sreenivasa ram makineedi said...

excellent

Lubomir said...

Your work's incredible.

df said...

I just found your blog. great paintings! I love these figure sketches.

mARTa said...

I'm thinking of trying gouache and came across your blog. These are fascinating. I work in watercolor but want to play with the opacity of body color. Any suggestions as to what brand/pigments to purchase to try this out? thanks.

Edde Wagner said...

It's so nice! Congratulations!...