Monday, February 18, 2013

Pt. Bonita Trio - Ocean/Cliff Gouache Studies






I noticed a big change in the weather today with clouds approaching quickly. I set out to create some rapid lighting and mood studies of the cliffs and ocean in gouache before any rain showers would pummel my easel. It was interesting to block-in three small images at once. Not being a slave to the location, I saw this as a chance to try variations on a theme. I took some video with a portable camera as an experiment as well. Here are some of the stills.

Locations and studies like this can serve as a point of inspiration later on with studio work or for commercial projects. Be sure to check out my new upcoming Inventing Landscapes Workshop - March 9-10, 2013 - SF, hope you can make it! I'm excited by the group who has signed up so far.

5 comments:

Kan Muftic said...

Great stuff, Erik! Hope all is well.
Kan

pierangelo boog said...

Impressiv :-) !

E.Tiemens said...

Thanks so much for the feedback Kan and Pierangelo! Nothing like sketching dramatic cliffs with the ocean and sky dancing away. Always inspirational and never easy.

Aljosa said...

Erik, what colors does your plain air palette consists of? I plan on buying some gouache paints so any help will be greatly appreciated.

M Denmark said...

When I see your latest pieces, I get pumped up to sign up for the next workshop.